Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Things I Luv



Well, this is a fair piece after my intended approximate-vicinity-to-Valentine's-Day publication date, but, I think it is good to at least get it up before the end of the Month of Love. Here are some things that warm my heart:

1. Lists (well, duh) If you've hung around here at all, you'll see that I like to make them. Lists are like the girders of my skyscraper, the underlying structure that gives form and direction to my life.

2. Libraries--I love the library. It is one of the things that makes our nation great, that we have places to go where they give you books for free. And CDs. And DVDs. And cookbooks. And if they don't have the book you want, they'll bring it to you from wherever it is. Did you catch that--they bring it to you!! For free! Well, actually it costs 25 cents here in Bflo, but that's very cheap when you consider how much it would cost to buy the book or even to drive across town and pick it up.

3. Having friends--Friends made my Valentine's Day great this year. Come to think, given my chronically dateless state, friends have always been what made Valentine's Day great for me. This year we got some ladies together and dressed up and had tea and fruit and scones and clotted cream and quiche and finger sandwiches and vegetables and flourless chocolate cake and lemon bars. And we laughed and laughed, mostly at ridiculous things. Friends are always worth having.

4. Feeding people--again, long time readers will know this. (I dream of those corn pancakes, btw) We had Bible Study this past week and someone brought a friend and they brought a friend and we had more folks there than I thought we would and I had made French onion soup and an apple cake and they descended like a locust hoarde on my mountain of food and by the time they left it was all gone. I love that.

5. Dogs--I love dogs. They are so sweet and fun and great. I am still thinking seriously about getting one, so I have dogs on the brain. Every time I see someone walking one, or even see dog pawprints in the snow, I sigh a little and think, "That could be me..." Maybe someday soon, it will be.

6. My job--I have the greatest job ever. I work with people I admire and enjoy and respect (most of the time anyway). At this point, I have just exactly the right amount of work, so I stay busy but not overwhelmed. I am around art all the time. I am learning new things, but it isn't scary. I feel supported, but not watched. I have never had a job that I enjoyed so much in my whole life. I need to figure out how to keep having a life that's this awesome all the time.

7. My space heater--it came from Target, and I think it cost me about $17. If it only lasted this one winter, I would have no regrets about buying it. Our house is set to a balmy 55 degrees during the day, but I just stay in my little room with my little space heater and get through the day like I'm in Bermuda (well, that's a little bit of an exaggeration, but still). I seriously do not even have enough words to tell you how much I enjoy my space heater. It has changed the way I experience winter in Buffalo. Thank you, space heater, from the bottom of my heart. You are a valued member of this community.

That wraps it up for me today. I have in mind a little project for Lent, but I don't want to tell you about it in case it doesn't come to fruition. If it happens...you'll see it. And you'll know.

S.

No comments: