Monday, May 10, 2010

Coffee with Famous People

So, where's that spring list, how's it coming? Mmmm...well. I feel like the funny thing about this project is that I started it in the fall, and I have, for some reason, tons of associations of what ought to be done in the fall. But other seasons, not so much. I'm not complaining, it's been a fun project and it helps me to have more fun, explore more. I just want you to realize, these lists don't come from thin air. So, for spring, I have plant the garden (check-ish), spring cleaning (oh yeah, total check, so worth it), celebrate amazing birthday (check check check) flying kites (not checked) and...? One of the things that makes it tough is that the weather in Buffalo spring is so unpredictable, so there are just days that feel like summer and days that feel like winter and not much in between. One of the things that has been amazing, though, is all the flowers. Oh my goodness. This city explodes into bloom in the spring. There are flowering trees everywhere, and everyone plants tulips and crocus and daffodils (including yours truly) and there are even huge banks of daffodils on either side of the 33. It's so gorgeous. Now, if it would just warm up... What about you? Any spring must-dos or must-sees?

So, actual point of this post. Just for fun, I made a little list of people I'd love to sit down with for a cup of joe and pick their brains a little bit. Maybe they will read this blog and we can make it happen...

1. Jon Stewart--Yes, of The Daily Show. He is very interesting to me because he's very funny, but he doesn't have to make himself ridiculous like Colbert does (although he will if the occasion calls for it). He meets people where they're at and he has one of the most powerful voices in American politics today. Being funny makes you powerful. Proof positive. If we did have coffee, I would ask him what he would actually do in public office. Because he'll never run. Pundits don't ever want to be the insects under glass, they want to be the ones poking them and making jokes.

2. Tina Fey--This is actually the lady who started the list. We have so much in common! Okay, I actually might identify with her 30 Rock character, Liz Lemon, than with the great lady herself. But, come on, you can't come up with that stuff without some deep personal pain, probably from middle school (I am not projecting!) I would want to ask her what it's like being a funny lady in a man's world. And, how much she is or was like Liz Lemon.

3. Barack Obama--Yes, I know he's the president! I know he can't sit down and have coffee with me! But neither can Tina! Why should I be limited by reality? Okay, I DO NOT want this to become a political blog, but I was an Obama support way back in 2008 when he was running and it has been interesting to watch his presidency, as being politically involved has made me feel more engaged than I ever have with other presidents. I would like to ask him about a few things that I don't think have been going so well and see why he made the choices he did and whether I might think differently if I had more information. Plus, he seems like a very interesting person and I think we'd have a great time. I hope he brings Michelle, she's doing such good things with the kids and the gardens and what not.

4. Tim Keller--he is the pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian church in NYC and, since I figure that even if I did go to that church, it's probably so big by now that we'd never have time to sit and chat, I better make a point to schedule coffee now. I first discovered Tim while at L'Abri, and I enjoy listening to his sermons so much. I love that he addresses the concerns of contemporary people, but he doesn't try to be "hip" by talking nonsense or watering down his theology. He's actually pretty darn conservative, but he explains things in a way that are so convincing. And the way that he talks about Jesus makes him sound like a person I've never heard of before, even though I've been a church-goer for pretty much my entire life. If you're curious, you can listen to his stuff here.

5. Molly Wizenberg--She is the author of my favorite food blog, Orangette, a wonderful writer and she collaborates on a hilarious series of podcasts called "Spilled Milk." We have lots in common. We could have swoony conversations about goat cheese, rhubarb, and Paris. We would probably be best friends. Just give us a chance, Molly.

That's all I have for you today, my ducklings. Who are your coffee buddies, real and fantastical? This...just makes me want iced coffee.

No comments: