Saturday, March 29, 2008

Funny Bone

A funny thing happened to me today. Well, first of all I went to the arts festival with my wee sister, and we looked at carved things and glass things and painted things and weird things and more cheesy "charming-flower-strewn-corners-somewhere-in-France" photographs than I hope to ever see again. But that part of the day was quite lovely. And then, the funny thing happened.

My mom apparently went to the house of one of her church friends and was admiring her collection of "latte mugs" which are apparently those large, shallow mugs that I would use as a cereal bowl, but some civilized people apparently use exclusively for latte drinking. Anyway, she admired them so much that this friend went out and bought her a set of the mugs. I was helping her unwrap them today and noticed that in this case a "set" meant five, which is really an ususual number for any kind of serving dishes, which just about always come in round numbers. And I asked my mom why five, and she said, offhandedly, that her friend had figured that when Heather and I got married, and there would be one for each of us. Yes, that's right, one for me and my hub, Heather and her hub, and my mom. All happily sipping lattes together.

It may be important to note that I don't think the generous friend is question has ever even met me. But, as I reflected on this purchase, it really tickled my funny bone. Someone has actually purchased something for my future husband, and has in fact entrusted it to my care the way you hand something to a friend who's going to run into a mutual friend at Starbucks later. And drink lattes. From very large mugs. No one has ever gone so far in assuming that I am going to get married as to actually buy something for the lucky man.

So, as far as a dowry goes, that's it, to the best of my knowledge, that's the total package. I just want all the single men out there to know that, if you should be so fortunate as to win my hand in marriage, you get not only this choicest of wifeys, but also, a very large mug out of which lattes can be drunk.

So, that settles it. I have wavered back and forth on this marriage question for many a year, but now that the latte mug has come into the picture, there can no longer be any question of what I will do. I obviously must get married. A mug so singular as this one can only be used as was specified by my generous benefactor. And believe me friends, it is singular. Four years of studying writing at the college level and words fail me. I have decided to post a picture at the first available opportunity because this latte mug is too precious to sully with my weak words. So I will leave you to dream longingly and covetously of my glorious latte mug until then.

Sweet Dreams,
S.

No comments: