Thursday, March 26, 2009

Props to Gourmet!



photo credit


I have to give a shout out to Gourmet magazine. I have been subscribing for about a year now, and though years ago I had issues that I would use to simply look at the pictures, since I have started reading the articles, I have been amazed by the quality of the writing. For example, so far in the March issue, I have been treated to a deeply felt exploration of the man behind a local taqueria in Mexico City through family relationships, an incredibly nostalgic (for me) article about hiking the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela (no, I never went hiking in Spain, but it reminded me strongly of time I was backpacking in Ireland) , and what I can only describe as an expose of the outrageous labor practices behind picking winter tomatoes in Florida. I can tell you one thing, although I made a habit of avoiding tomatoes during the winter before, I am now determined to never buy a tomato from December through May. And I have all but decided for certain that I also want to hike the trail to Santiago...sometime soon. I love this magazine. Great recipes, great writing, great pictures. And someday, though they always look like it would take a crap load of time and expense, I am determined to invite guests over and make the entirety of one of their menus, omitting nothing, changing nothing. Just to see what it's like. I feel like it would produce a truly spectacular meal.

1 comment:

Tim said...

I feel like YOU produce truly spectacular meals. Always. Already. The Gourmet magazine menu would just mean you have to think a little less about the steps involved :)