Friday, August 24, 2007

Life Lately

So, it has been a while since I have posted. Quite a while. Many things have happened. They are as follows:

1.) Many people have all of a sudden started trying to get in touch with me. I think it is because the time of my departure is drawing nigh.

2.) God has been talking to me again. This is a good thing.

3.) I have gone to Kansas and back, crossing four states and spending six days abroad, so to speak, visiting friends.

4.) I am about halfway through the fifth Harry Potter book.

5.) I have served my first round of jury duty.

All of this is very exciting, and I hardly know where to begin talking. There is more to say than can be held in one little post. I, it must be said, am in a much better frame of mind these days than I have been for most of the summer. My trip to Kansas City was so, so good. I think even just the change of scenery and perhaps, ahem, company, might have had something to do with this. I think I am coming to discover that I am a person who thrives on change. Change and conversation. It was really, really good to have actual, tangible real-life people who were willing to listen to me chatter and whinge and laugh and philosophize and say all of the true things I can say when my spirit is uncaged. That was glorious. I didn't realize how little I had laughed this summer until I got back in the habit. Also, fajitas and also impressionism and also tea and also dancing. O yes. I have so much hope for the future right now. It will be good someday. I will always believe this and I will work to make it so until I drop. I will not always be alone.

Also, jury duty. Everybody kind of gave me to expect that the whole experience would be generally purgatorial. It was so not the case. First of all, I found out about the most amazing Kuykendahl park and ride where you take about a 20 minute ride to Kuykendahl Rd. and then park and take a bus downtown and the whole thing takes about an hour. That is a remarkably short time for the morning rush downtown. And it only costs three dollars, tho it was free for me because of the jury duty. Then I just got to sit around for half the morning reading Harry Potter, answer some questions to a lawyer, then I was dismissed and sent home. The trial itself sounded really interesting, and, though I was really nervous about the possibility of getting picked and screwing over someone's life by making a bad decision, I would have been able to maintain interest in the case, at least I think so. So really, I don't know what everyone's complaining about. I mean, finding out some Houston public transport that's actually functional alone was worth the trip and I can't wait to take the bus back downtown and do some more exploring when I'm wearing less painful shoes. I always thought downtown Houston was kind of a dud place, but maybe that's because I've never gone through it on foot.

That's all I have to say about such things as have been happening. Well, not really, I have a lot more to say, but I have been so tired lately and Harry Potter is calling before bed...

G'night,
S.

No comments: