Sunday, November 29, 2009

Tis the Season


My beyooootiful sister. This was taken a few years ago...

Well, a mere few days after Thanksgiving and Christmas is already floating in the air. I have been making some lists and checking them twice, my favorite list being the one of delectable Christmas goodies I plan to bake. And there have been a few rehearsals of the show I am pseudo "helping" with A Christmas Twist. Think of what would happen if The Christmas Carol and Oliver Twist collided with each other head on and woke up as a brand new play. That's this show. The actors are so talented, the director is visionary, and if you're in the Buffalo area, I call you a fool if you do not find a way to see this show! It is hilarious enough to put even old Scrooge himself in the Christmas spirit.

As you might imagine, one of the things that has been in full force for a few week's now is the Christmas shopping. I try to be pretty careful in who I buy for, as the decision, as much as possible, has nothing to do with who I think is going to be buying gifts for me and feel put out that I have nothing for them. It's just who I think I want to give a gift to. Mostly those near rather than far (the post office at Christmas time has something to do with this, methinks) and handmade or local as much as I can.

But the reason that I love gifts, Christmas or otherwise, has nothing to do with where they come from or when they're given or what they cost. Gifts are meaningful to me because, at their best, they are a sign of the giver's fond reflections on the receiver. Sometimes you know someone well enough that the perfect thing for them jumps off the shelf. But sometimes it's harder, and then you have to sit and think. What do I know about him that would really tip me off? What are her favorite things to do? What kind of things is he interested in? What kind of books does she like, maybe I can discover her new favorite author? The thing that makes presents really beautiful to me is the time spent thinking about the person, and the more you really know them, the better your gift.

I don't really claim to excel at the art of giving gifts, and honestly, some of the people on my list are difficult enough to make me throw up my hands and say, Bah, humbug!" But I still think that the practice of giving gifts, no matter how commercialized and out of control this time of year (shopping stampede injuries and deaths? that honestly makes me feel sick) it is still a beautiful tradition. You know what I'm talking about. Because when you get that thoughtful or unexpected or beautifully handmade gift, you feel known. There are few better things than that.

Also, today is the first Sunday of Advent, the start of the church year and the Christmas season. Maybe you already knew that. If you didn't, I feel sad for the dearth of ecclesiology in your life. I LOVE ADVENT! Happy New Year, everybody!

S.

No comments: